Friday, May 8, 2009

It's about time



In case you guys haven't heard the announcement. President Obama and his administration have decided to open up the crown of the Statute of Liberty! Beginning on July 4 we will be able to walk up to the crown. The crown has been off limits to visitors since the 2001 terrorist attacks. The Department of Interior said it was time for the public to be able to walk up and view this magnificent city!

I'm pretty excited about this because I haven't been to the top of the crown since I was 16-17 years old. Every year me and my dad would come to NYC to visit his five sisters and he and I would take in a Yankee game, go to the top the World Trade Center and then go to the Statue of Liberty. I'm sure he got tired of doing it but never said a thing.....lol! But the one thing we both agreed on was the view from the Statue of Liberty is breathtaking! I think people who live in major cities forget to take in all they have to offer! When I lived in DC, I went to all the museums, monuments etc. The sad thing is I met people who were from DC who had never been to the Lincoln Memorial! That's sad to me because there's so much history that people miss out on. And I'm sure it's the same with living in NYC. The Teacher told me he took some of his students ice skating at Rockefeller Plaza and some of them had never been there or heard of it. These kids are in middle school! That is so sad to me. We live in the best city in the world and many of us who live here don't take full advantage of what it has to offer!

Wherever you live, make sure you take in the sites and culture of your city! Expose yourself and children! If you get a chance to visit the Big Apple. Please make sure you visit Lady Liberty! She is an impressive piece of work!

3 comments:

12kyle said...

Wow! I never knew that they closed it up. You'd think that you'd hear about it being opened back up but there's so much negativity spewed toward Barack on the news...they don't have time to inform us about good stuff.

I agree. You gotta expose kids to stuff like this. You'd be surprised at what some parents expose their kids to but won't take em to places like this.

Good post. You are on a roll. Maybe we can get 3 from u next week? LoL!!!

The Jaded NYer said...

I'll admit it- we only saw the "tourist attractions" when my relatives were visiting from DR. But I try my best to take my girls around the city as much as possible!

And now... YES!! I can finally take them to the top of the Statue of Liberty!! Let's plan a trip :D

Not so Anonymous said...

Yes, I heard about it on the Today Show this morning. I'll definitely go the next time I'm in NYC.

Oh...DC! I played supertourist almost every other weekend when I lived there. I think I went to every single attraction in the area. Now, that's the best City in the World ;)

And, I do agree that ppl should expose their children to more historic and cultural things. Especially in the cities and states in which they live. I think ppl just start taking advantage of the greatness in their backyards.